Man do I love to procrastinate! I think I subconsciously do it on purpose. I thrive under pressure; always have, in a sick way I like to have the looming pressure of deadlines. That pressure puts in me in the zone, the weeks when I have the most due are always the weeks that I get the most done.
Why do we procrastinate? Though I'd like to believe the above is the primary reason, I think it is more about these issues.
1. I am inherently lazy.
2. The task at hand is just boring. I find the less I'm excited or interested in the work, the more I put it off.
3. Sometimes I'd rather do other stuff. Just because I can I guess. Call me a rebel.
4. I lack a clear understanding of what it is I'm doing, so I just don't do it right away.
5. I don't know how to do it, or I am limited in my knowledge.
So those are my excuses... here are my solutions;
· I have been working on coming into work earlier, I find that the morning hours before the rest of the office and world gets going I can be more focused and creative.
· I schedule "no meeting, email or phone" time. This limits distractions and interruptions so I can get things moving.
· I make sure I have a clear understanding of the scope of everything I take on.
· I also try to do something on the project at least everyday... Momentum helps me be more productive in the big picture.
These seem to be helping.
BTW I think this was number 3, back to the real world, would love to hear your thoughts.